Palácio da Bolsa, headquarters and property of Associação Comercial do Porto, is a neoclassical style building, whose construction started on the 6th October 1842, the day where the first stone was put to place, due to the closure of the stock exchange that obliged the Porto traders to discuss their business on open air.
The bronze statue on a top of a high column (10 meters) of lioz stone was made of 5 tons of bronze by Célestin Anatole Calmels (sculpture) and Joaquim da Costa Lima (architecture). The column features two-sided pedestal stands which depict the delivery of Pedro’s heart to the representatives of Porto and landing at Mindelo where Pedro IV gave the flag to Tomás de Melo Breyner. These two low-reliefs were originally made of Carrara marble, and they have been replaced with bronze duplicates for protection purposes. The coats of arms of Bragança and Porto have been depicted on the front and back sides of the column and surrounded with oak and bay leaves.
The statue was fused in Belgium and it describes Pedro (in a military uniform on horseback) presenting the constitutional charter (on his right hand) to Porto.
The monument was inaugurated in October 1866. It has been classified as Property of Public Interest since 1982.
The square is located in the historical district of Ribeira (riverside in Portuguese), part of the São Nicolau parish. The Ribeira district spreads alongside the Douro river and used to be a centre of intense commercial and manufacturing activity since the Middle Ages. Also since that time the Ribeira Square was the site of many shops that sold fish, bread, meat and other goods. In 1491 the buildings around the square were destroyed in a fire, and the houses were rebuilt with arcades in their groundfloors. During this rebuilding campaign the square also gained a pavement made of stone slabs.
The São Bento railway station (Portuguese: estação ferroviária de São Bento) is a 20th-century railway station in the civil parish of Cedofeita, Santo Ildefonso, Sé, Miragaia, São Nicolau e Vitória, in the municipality of Porto, district of Porto.
The primitive theatre was constructed at the end of the 18th century (1796) by Italian Vicente Mazzoneschi, and inaugurated on 13 May 1798, as the Teatro do Príncipe (Prince’s Theatre). It was named in honour of the prince-regent John VI, who later became King. The construction firm of Francisco de Almada Mendonça was charged with the project, and produced a four-story building with its principal facade decorated with the royal coat-of-arms under an inscription.
An important monument of the square is the Batalha Palace, a good example of a late 18th-century urban palace of Porto. The main façade, in a style intermediate between baroque and neoclassical, carries the coat-of-arms of the former owners (Silvas, Guedes, Melos e Pereiras). During the Siege of Porto (1832) the owners left the building and it was used for several purposes, including blood hospital. The interior has been stripped of its decoration still in the 19th century. Nowadays it is used as post office.
The square was urbanised in 1861, when a statue of King Pedro V of Portugal, standing over a pedestal, was erected right in front of Batalha Palace. The statue is a work by sculptor Teixeira Lopes (father) which was inaugurated in 1866.
The Batalha area has been an important cultural spot for centuries. In 1794, it was here that the Oporto’s opera house, the Royal Theatre of São João, was built. The theatre still exists, although the original building had to be replaced in 1908 following a fire. Another important cultural venue of the square is the Cinema Batalha, a landmark of Portuguese Art Deco architecture dating from 1947.
Batalha Square was an important traffic hub until recently, but since the 1980s it has been mostly pedestrianised. The square is also a touristic spot thanks to its monuments, cafés and hotels.
São Pedro da Afurada (or simply Afurada) is a former civil parish in the municipality of Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal. In 2013, the parish merged into the new parish Santa Marinha e São Pedro da Afurada. The population in 2011 was 3,568, in an area of 1.00 km².
It is an urban parish in the city of Gaia. Afurada is located near the mouth of the Douro river, where it meets the Atlantic Ocean. It is a traditional fishing village and was created as such. Its patron saint is Saint Peter, hence the name São Pedro, the equivalent in Portuguese.
Afurada’s people seem to be very devoted to St. Peter and every year there is a religious holiday in St. Peter’s name (on 29 June), where people make processions, pray, and party throughout the night. It is customary for people to eat sardines in that week, baked with the typical Broa de Avintes, a type of corn bread made in the nearby village of Avintes. There is plenty of fireworks too.
The first king of Portugal, Afonso Henriques, donated a chapel in São João da Foz in 1145. In the 13th century the chapel became part of the Benedictine monastery of Santo Tirso. The borders of the parish, called “Couto da Foz,” were limited by the city of Bouças (Matosinhos) in the north and Port, to the east.
Designed to mark the festive year of 2001, in which the city of Porto was designated European Capital of Culture, Casa da Música is the first building in Portugal aimed from its conception to be exclusively dedicated to music, either in public performances, or in the field of artistic training and creation.
Casa da Música’s project was set in motion in 1999, as a result of an international architecture tender won by the project presented by Rem Koolhaas – Office for Metropolitan Architecture. Excavations began in 1999, at the old tram’s terminus station in Boavista roundabout (Rotunda da Boavista), and Casa da Musica was inaugurated in the spring of 2005, on April 15th.