Is one of the most relevant Portuguese museums. We can admire a vast collection of painting from the 16th to the 20th centuries, ceramics, sculpture, engraving, jewelery, gold and silverware, textiles and glassware.
In painting stand out works by great Portuguese authors, such as Henrique Pousão, Silva Porto, António Carneiro, Aurélia de Souza and Amadeo de Souza-Cardoso.
‘’O Desterrado’’ (1872), the exceptional sculpture by Soares dos Reis, the artist who gives the name to the museum, was awarded the gold medal in the International Exposition in Madrid, in 1881. The title and pose of the life-size male figure add an enigmatic layer to the sculpture: some say that it represents nostalgia; others say that it is a criticism of the isolated and backward Portugal of the time.
In this museum we can, also, admire the reliquary bust of Saint Pantaleon, patron of Porto.
This museum is part of the international itineraries of contemporary art. It is set in a building designed by the architect Álvaro Siza Vieira.
Usulaly, it has multiple collections at the same time, with works of Portuguese and foreign artists. We can complete the visit with a walk through the extensive gardens and park, and the magnificent house art deco, which dates back to the 1930s.
Also known as Quinta do Sacramento or Quinta da Macieirinha, this country house from the late 18th century, was acquired by the City Council in 1972, to install there the museum. This space aims to recreate the indoor atmospheres of a wealthy house from the 19th century, approaching the aesthetics, the manners and habitudes related to Romanticism, the city from the 19th century, as well as to perpetuate the memory of Carlos Alberto of Savoy, King of Sardinia and Prince of Piedmont. This romantic figure, who the city has welcomed wholeheartedly, came to die in this house, on 28 July 1849, sad, ill and exiled from his motherland. At the top of the staircase is his imposing portrait, painting in 1982 by Angelo Capisani, and offered to Porto by the City Council of Turin, as a gesture of thanks.
It was in this house belonging to the Portuguese crown since the 14th century that Prince Henry the Navigator was born.
The building originates from the 14th century when the king Dom Afonso IV decided to erect the Customs House in Porto’s riverside area, in order to supervise the trade that was being brought to the city along the River Douro, together with a Mint. The building continued to serve as a customs house until the 19th century, although the house has since undergone a variety of restoration and improvement work.
According to some historians, it was in this house that Prince Henry the Navigator was born, which explains how it came to be given this particular name. It was declared a national monument in 1924. In the 20th century, during the course of restoration and conservation work, some remains were discovered of a Roman palace.
It now houses a museum, where you can find out more about the history of the Casa do Infante, and a Historical Archive.
Often forgotten, theMMIPO – Museu da Misericórdia do Porto preservs a small but important art collection, including the Flemish painting “Fons Vitae” (1517-1520, Brussels, unknown author ), a testimony of the economic vigor of the Discoveries, when Portugal has commissioned many works of art, especially in Flanders.
With 150,000 visits per year, the Sandeman cellar officials decided it was appropriate to create a museum that would contextualize and tell the story of one of the most internationally impacted Port wine brands. Of course, there is no shortage of explanation about Don, the mythical and mysterious lord in black of the logo created in 1928, dressed in the typical cover of Portuguese students and the Spanish sombrero.
It is a space with 27 thematic areas that is equivalent to a football stadium. Here we focus on interactivity and the visual apparatus, a cross between history and technology. There is also a hologram of Pinto da Costa telling personal and club episodes.
The pharmacy viewed from a historical perspective, with valuable pieces spanning four million years and from various civilizations. Among the many surprises, there are two old pharmacies that were literally transported to this space: the Oporto Pharmacy Estácio and an Islamic pharmacy of a palace in Damascus.
One begins by knowing the Kadoorie Mekor Haim Synagogue, followed by a journey through several pieces and documents that reconstitute the history of Judaism in Portugal, with a strong focus on Porto.