This baroque work by Nicolau Nasoni was built in the first half of the eighteenth century. The Clérigos Tower is one of the most emblematic monuments of the city of Porto. The panoramic view over the city and the river Douro which can be seen from the top of the tower makes the 240 step climb worth the effort.
The city’s most important Gothic temple, whose construction began in the fourteenth century. It is one of the most important works of the Baroque, by its gilded interior from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. It was the exuberance of its gild carved wood work that led Count Raczinsky to describe it as the ‘Church of Gold’. And, overwhelmed, he adds: ‘The gild of this church is so beautiful and rich that goes far beyond everything I have seen in Portugal and in the whole world’. It is worth of notice the Tree of Jesse, as well as the catacombs. It is a National Monument since 1910 and World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO since 1996.
Construction dating from the twelfth/thirteenth century, in Romanesque style, that has been enlarged and renewed over the years up to its final setting, in the twentieth century, resulting in an idealized reconstitution of the medieval cathedral. Special mention goes to: the Gothic São João Evangelista Chapel and the cloister, from the fourteenth century; the enlargement of the main chapel, the Santíssimo Sacramento Chapel and its silver altar, from the eighteenth century (mannerist); the eighteenth century Baroque frescos in the main chapel and the sacristy, by Nicolau Nasoni, and the tiles in the cloister, by Vital Rifarto; the sculpture in the Baptism Chapel, by Teixeira Lopes (father) from the nineteenth century.
It was probably built in the 13th century, although it might be founded on an older construction. In 1737 it was remodelled; the changes were designed by Nicolau Nasoni, according to some authors.
The main façade is open by a full arch flanked by pilasters and topped by a decorated fronton. The central window has a stone balustrade and the fronton – that exceeds the entablature – reveals the coat of arms of Bishop D. Rafael de Mendonça.
Building of Gothic origin whose interior was covered with golden gild in the first half of the eighteenth century. The construction dates from the first half of the fifteenth century. It went through some changes in modern times when the beautiful Renaissance portal was built. This real Baroque jewel impresses by its decorative exuberance.
In 1754 the founder of the Brotherhood of Nossa Senhora da Lapa preached around Porto, trying to build a chapel to honour Nossa Senhora da Lapa. In 1755 the money collected was used to build the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Lapa das Confissões. Later on, Brotherhood ok Lapa decided to build a new church. The construction took over 100 years. From 1835 the Church hosts D. Pedro IV’s heart kept in a monument set in the main chapel. In 1995 the Church purchased the pipe organ, a fundamental piece for the church concerts, classified as Public Interest Estate since 2013.
Seventeenth century church whose classical façade dates from the 1850s. The project has been attributed to the architect/painter Nicolau Nasoni. The altarpiece, of Porto rococo style, was considered to be a stylistically revolutionary piece. Building designated national monument.